The previous post talked about continuations, haunted by the spectre that haunts us all, growing awareness of being in the anthropocene and impending doom. Doom and dooms. Winter, as they say, is coming.
“Happy” World Goth Day yesterday.
Having sort-of-called-it on The All-Bran™️ (not exactly a major achievement considering), I’ve thought some more about that final episode and season 8 as a whole, and have had a Deep Thought about what was really going on behind the scenes and with the narrative’s alleged turn to the psychological.
First, some links to a selection of commentaries:
- 16 May: Kavita Mudan Finn, “Game of Thrones is based in history—outdated history,” in The Public Medievalist: https://www.publicmedievalist.com/thrones-outdated-history/?fbclid=IwAR0CmC9F12patu0qe7M56Yo_SjR1G_g8USPqxHWM5Bk1WdB4SnDwPSDpMog
- 16-22 May: commentary thereon, including suggestions for further reading in medieval history, by Stephennie Mulder on Twitter: https://mobile.twitter.com/stephenniem/status/1129038683733188608?s=21&fbclid=IwAR2w1YMDIdLqxjgLpHbJEL4ayUMh7QhhpUFIUQHeo4zlLAfIWSMWlsL9vjg
- 17 May: Zeynep Tufekci, “The real reason fans hate the last season of Game of Thrones: It’s not just bad storytelling—it’s because the storytelling style changed from sociological to psychological” in Scientific American: https://blogs.scientificamerican.com/observations/the-real-reason-fans-hate-the-last-season-of-game-of-thrones/?redirect=1
- 17 May: Leslie Lee, “Game of Thrones: an American parable,” in Truthdig: https://www.truthdig.com/articles/game-of-thrones-an-american-parable/
- 19 May: Cord Whitaker, “Game of Thrones’ peasants are a problem of white supremacy—and Its victims, too,” In the Middle: http://www.inthemedievalmiddle.com/2019/05/game-of-thrones-peasants-are-problem-of.html
- 20 May: “I think the show finale was written by Catelyn Stark,” discussion on reddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/asoiaf/comments/bqzy3h/spoilers_main_i_think_the_show_finale_was_written/
- 20 May: AJ Willingham, “Game of Thrones finale recap: ashes to ashes,” CNN: https://www.cnn.com/2019/05/20/entertainment/game-of-thrones-season-8-finale-recap-trnd/index.html
- 23 May: Paul B. Sturtevant, “Who won Game of Thrones?” in The Public Medievalist: https://www.publicmedievalist.com/who-won-game-of-thrones/
And some continuations:
A FIRST CONTINUATION
A SECOND CONTINUATION
A THIRD CONTINUATION
A FOURTH CONTINUATION
(the bones of a very short story)
MY DEEP THOUGHT
OTHERS’ RELATED DEEPER THOUGHTS